The restaurant is situated on one of the City of Gloucester’s oldest streets, Hare Lane.
Until Worcester Street was built in the 19th century, Hare Lane was the main thoroughfare from Gloucester to the north.
The road featured many taverns, such as The Raven, and the Tanners Guildhall as well as houses for craftsmen and merchants. Our property, 8 Hare Lane, was one of the latter and is reckoned to have been built around 1530. It is listed as being of special architectural interest.
The building comprises three stories plus a cellar and is of timber frame and brick construction under a tiled roof, with a brick stack to the left. The rear wing to the left is thought to have been the original hall which adjoined former chambers in the front range, above the shop.
The front of the buildings features jettied upper floors underbuilt in the 18th century with red brick subsequently painted white in the 20th century. The upper stories feature two timber framed bays jettied at first and second floor levels. Two early 19th century three-light casement windows can be seen on the first and second floors, each with glazing bars in openings with original sill rails.
Scale Model of the Buidling
Don’t forget to check out this wonderful scale model of the building in all its glory if you are dining in our restaurant!